Friday, November 30, 2012

The Last Whisper

The year was 1854. The month, September. I was ordered to be a medical officer in British fleet when we joined forces with the French army to invade the Russians as they had occupied territories in the Crimea that had previously been controlled by Turkey. After the Russians destroyed the Turkish fleet at Sinope in the Black Sea in November 1853, Britain and France joined the war against Russia. I was nervous as it was my first deployment.
I arrived near Sevastopol, on the 14th September. With shaking hands I walked out of the ship and was asked to proceed to the nearest hospital, where I would be for the next, well I did not really know. As I walked into the hospital, I was appalled by the condition. I put on a strong face and made my way in.
"Doctor! We need a doctor!" soon became a sentence I grew accustomed to. I provided my services with a smile on face. I heard many stories from my fellow country men about how the situation was like outside there. Some of them may look strong but they often broke down when they spoke of their loved ones. I've never been in love you see. I had devoted my entire life to my country. If I did fall in love, I could not bear to see the hurt in her eyes when I left. I always would imagine the fear she would feel when I left to serve. How is that love when all you are doing is hurting the person you love?
I still remember that morning very well. I was bandaging a soldiers leg when I heard her voice. It was so soft I could have missed it. "Help him, please!" she cried out. I tried to get a glimpse of her, but I could not. All I managed to see was her shadow being dragged away by me fellow soldiers. That whole night, her voice kept on playing in my head. I tried to brush it by saying I will never see her again, but who was I kidding, she was stuck in my head.
I carried on working, secretly hoping I could hear her voice again. With the war getting more intense, my job was not getting easier. Sometimes, I just wanted to return back home. But I made a promise to my country. It did scare me sometimes, the fear of death was inevitable. The condition of the hospitals were not that pleasing as well. The smell of human waste was very strong as they did not have receptacles for waste. Let's not forget the blood stains splattered all over the floor. It was not a good environment for patients to recuperate as there were not enough beds, many had share and the less ill had to lie on floor.
I had been hearing rumors about how something big is gonna happen on the 20th September. The Battle of Alma happened. Together with the French army, we were victorious. The aftermath of that battle was not too bad. However, many were falling ill due to the unsanitary conditions. Within a few weeks an estimated 8,000 men were suffering from Cholera and Malaria. I kept myself busy by treating these patients of mine. Until that day.
I was busy attending to my patient when I felt the softest touch. "Excuse me, please help me" She cried. "My father is dying. I do not know what is wrong with him" I was not allowed to treat the locals. "Where are you from? I asked. Her voice was so familiar, almost like the one I heard the other day. "Turkey" she replied. With that, I knew we both we in danger. Her eyes were filled with hope when she looked at me. I wanted to help her but I knew, I would be putting the both us in hot waters.
"Meet me behind the hospital at 10pm. Bring your father" For a moment, I saw the faintest smile on her. "Oh thank you sir" she said and disappeared like the wind. I was anxiously waiting for her arrival. I was almost amazed by her enthusiasm to get our attention, even though she knew the dangers of it. My mind wondered why she was in Sevastopol. I was about to get my answer. I soon saw a shadow walking towards me. It was her and her father. I rushed to help her carry her father. I laid him down and examined him. "He has malaria" I told her. All the hope I saw in her face was gone. She stood her almost lost. I felt sorry for her. I did the best I can to help them. "If you need more medication, come see me. Wait for me here." I told her. She simply nodded and said thank you and disappeared.
At the start of October, the French and British engineers, moved from their base at Balaclava. I knew things were going to bad. I prepared myself for death. But somehow, I couldn't get her out of my mind. I knew I was never going to see her again as I had been hearing rumours about being asked to move away or about us retreating.
I was prepared until that day. 25th October 1854.
- End of Part 1-
I'm really sorry, but if I were to right the whole story, you'll never see the end of the page! I shall update the second part of the story very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment