Thursday, November 29, 2012

Feed me more Gossip, Dr. House.

Television has been around since 1950's The television of our ancestors were what we would say now as plain boring. Nowadays we turn on our television set and all we see is sex and drama. The argument of television brings more bad than good has haunted me enough.
We all have those shows that we wait for every week, glued to our seats, itching to know what happens to our beloved characters.
I am no stranger to this phenomena. I used to wait every week to see a new episode of House. I can honestly say, watching House made me want to be a doctor so badly. I was so glued to the show till I would grab a pen and paper when it started and write down each symptom as though I was a doctor. I would try to give my own diagnose. Now, I'm no doctor, but thank God for Google right? Dr. House wittiness kept me on the edge of my seat for 8 seasons. When I found out the show was over, I literally shed a tear. I thought to myself, well there goes that 1 hour I used to pretend to be a doctor.
Another show I love would be Gossip Girl. I know what you're thinking, "Oh Gossip Girl? It's basically sex and drama. Well, technically, it is. However, the reason why I love this show is because of one of the characters named Blair Waldrof. Blair, to me, is the ideal woman. She knows how to have fun, but she also knows what she wants in life. I would consider her as one of my role models.
The thing I love about Gossip Girl is that it shows us a glimpse of what it's like living as a socialite.
I would love to live a day in the shoes of Blair Waldrof. I know what you're thinking, "She's fictional" but they it wouldn't hurt to dream right. I actually did try to follow in Blair's footsteps, without the scheming of course (In case you didn't know, Blair is most famous for her elabrote schemes to get what she wants. Yes, she's an evil mastermind)I copied her dressing and the way she talked. It was fun actually being another person. It got me thinking, if I was ever given a chance to be Blair Waldrof for a day, I would be walking in Gucci shoes, planning a deceiving scheme to get the guy I like to magically fall in love with me and banish the girl I hate to Iceland.Oh, wait, I already did that. In my dreams.
So my whole point of this post is that, television isn't really bad, just like any other forms of media, it allows you to escape your miserable reality for a bit and pretend to be someone else. We always find amusement in other people's problems, which is why shows like The Walking Dead and Gossip Girl are doing so well. Let's face it, watching other people be more messed up than we are gives us a little hope. Television also cultivates your perception of things. For an instance, a socialite is basically a spoiled brat who gets everything she wants. Just like the Cultivation Theory suggests.
So the next time someone tells you that television is bad, tell them that they haven't seen nothing yet. Then plan your scheme to take them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment